Photo
- - - - -

What do you do when someone is parked in your driveway illegally?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher

Christopher

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

Someone parked in my friend's driveway for hours last night, blocking him from getting out. He eventually found out that it was a neighbor's friend. Who do you call when that happens?

#2 Labman

Labman

Dogs Expert

• Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNothern USA
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

It might depend on how well I got along with the neighbors. Who would park in a stranger's driveway? If a strange car was parked in my driveway, I might call around the neighborhood. If you have problems with the neighbors, I would try the police. I don't know if a towing company would remove it and be willing to collect from the owner or not.

#3 Guest_Legalbeagle_*

Guest_Legalbeagle_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

You call the Police. The car is illegally parked. If they are helpful they will check the registration and attempt to notify the owner.

If they are busy they will call a tow truck (for which you will be responsible). You then have to collect from the owner.

You obviously can't take matters into your own hands.

#4 Christopher

Christopher

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

He did call around the neighborhood and rang doorbells, and a neighbor told him that the car belonged to a neighbor's friend. So he went to his neighbor's house, but no one answered the door. I told him to call the cops if it happens again.

#5 Guest_Legalbeagle_*

Guest_Legalbeagle_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

Your friend is more understanding than I would have been. I would not have gone through the neighborhood looking for the driver unless I KNEW it was a friend's friend.

What did he end up doing? Did he wait until the friend's friend left and removed the car from his driveway?

I am aware of a NY case when a person blocked another person's driveway SO the owner of the property (the person who was blocked) had a friend park behind the car that was blocking access. When the person who was illegally parked tried to leave, he could not. Ended up to be quite a standoff involving one person punching another.

Life could have been much easier of the property owner had "simply" called the Police from the beginning.

#6 Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Relationships Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationIn front of the computer.
Neutral

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I faced a similar situation many years ago when we lived close to a football ground. There was a certain repeat offender who would park across our driveway. Well, he did it twice.

The third time I let down 2 of the tyres on his car. We watched from our house as he struggled to change them and as he had to go to the gas station to get one of them filled with air. It took him a couple of hours. Needless to say, he never parked across our driveway again!!

Sometimes it's only the inconvenience that stops people behaving a certain way - they only 'get it' if it affects them.

#7 Labman

Labman

Dogs Expert

• Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNothern USA
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

The more I think about it, the more it is a lose, lose situation. If identifying the neighbor and asking nicely doesn't work, any stronger measure opens you to retribution. If your property is vandalized, how can you prove it was the parking offender?

#8 Christopher

Christopher

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:22 AM

Yep, he was understanding and patient. He waited until the neighbor's friend left and then moved his car. He was a little pissed off, but he didn't want to cause a scene in the neighborhood.

#9 Guest_Legalbeagle_*

Guest_Legalbeagle_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:26 PM

I don't think you can protect yourself against retaliation. I also don't know at what point I would take a stand. If I HAD to get out of my driveway, yes, I would take a stand and call the Police. (I can't do anything that will jeopardize my profession license.)

I'd be concerned that if I went to the door and the neighbors were having a party, drinking was involved, I'd be on the losing end even though I'd be within my rights to ask that the car be moved.

You just never know - strange World!

#10 artrokil

artrokil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

I like beer! Posted Image

#11 anonymoose

anonymoose

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationuk
Neutral

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

call for a tow truck. that illegal parker gets what they deserve!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users