Photo
- - - - -

Will swelling in jaw due to abscessed tooth go down with antibiotics?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 josiahzmommy

josiahzmommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

Will swollen jaw due to abscessed tooth go down?
I was prescribed Clindamycin hcl and Tramadol hcl for pain. The swelling went down a bit... but not much. It hurts. I also use a cold pack twice a day. I started the antibiotic on 5/30/11. The same night my lower left jaw became swollen. I know it isnt allergic reaction because it's only swollen in affected area. Please help. I dont know if I should wait it out until the meds are gone... or go to the ER. I cant have the tooth extracted until the antibiotics are gone, Thanx in advance for any helpful answers.

#2 Roza

Roza

Health & Pregnancy Expert

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts
  • LocationMontreal,Que. Canada
Excellent

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

A course of antibiotics , usually about 10 days, must be followed.
Some times the infection appears clear in a few days - but you must still take them properly till end.Other times it takes the whole course.
4 days is not enough to expect all to be well.

An abscess is tough to heal.If you think the pain killer isn't strong enough call the dentist.
Unless there is some thing unusual - sounds all right for the time.Does not sound like ER case- but only you can judge how you feel.

Really the dentist - not the internet should be your focus.

#3 josiahzmommy

josiahzmommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:37 PM

A course of antibiotics , usually about 10 days, must be followed.
Some times the infection appears clear in a few days - but you must still take them properly till end.Other times it takes the whole course.
4 days is not enough to expect all to be well.

An abscess is tough to heal.If you think the pain killer isn't strong enough call the dentist.
Unless there is some thing unusual - sounds all right for the time.Does not sound like ER case- but only you can judge how you feel.

Really the dentist - not the internet should be your focus.

Thank You. The dentist is my focus. I was told they will not extract until the antibiotics are finished. Ive been known to prematurely panic. I came to the net to seek advice before I went too far when not called for. Once again, Thank You.

#4 Roza

Roza

Health & Pregnancy Expert

• Experts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts
  • LocationMontreal,Que. Canada
Excellent

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:46 AM

Thank You. The dentist is my focus. I was told they will not extract until the antibiotics are finished. Ive been known to prematurely panic. I came to the net to seek advice before I went too far when not called for. Once again, Thank You.

A little panic,espec. dental is normal. But try not to allow it to take you over - it will get worse & can over power you. I would've expected that you'd have been told that some of the pain would be there until the extraction ~~ maybe I should have paid more attention to that. Nothing you've put appears other then normal - par for the course. Best of lick- come back anytime - or at least after. Do not trust Dr Google until you have the education , instinct & knowledge to know what you are looking for & what is in the 10% that is accurate. ;)

#5 toothamoxil

toothamoxil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

I'm new to www.askusweb.com and just saying hello. I really like this great site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users